Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Traversing the Tagging Universal

I started my bookmark search on delicious with the phrase "social search". What was interesting to me was the amount of websites that it returned. There wasn't very many articles or blogs, but rather numerous links to other bookmarking sites. This was true for my next to searches; "tagging" and "bookmark". I chose three popular ones:

Stumbleupon
Clipmarks
Simpy

These all are essentially different ways of bookmarking pages. From the Simpy link, I decided to see what other people bookmarked with this. This is where I found Zootool, 15 best bookmarking sites, and Social booking Wikipedia. Most of everyone that had Zootool also had another link to social bookmarking in one way or another.

Next, I searched delicious by using the bell246 tag to see what other classmates have posted (much easier than clicking on each individual link and seeing if anyone updated. Sorting by most recent did that for you.) I noticed Basya Samuels also tagged two links that I had. (We must have had similar search techniques!) I also tagged an article of Erin's on collaboration tools because I don't know really what companies are supplying these tools. I love lists on the internet!

In my next venture through the delicious universe, I'm hoping to find a little more scholastic material on bookmarking. I'm sure they were there, but buried deep. Maybe delicious isn't cut out for finding the needle in the haystack, rather just finding the haystack. I personally felt like most tags were advertisements for more tagging sites. Sounds like a vicious cycle.

If I wanted to find applications and ideas, I think Delicious is great, but researching could pose a problem. It was hard to find links of any substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment